O.T.O. STUDY GUIDE – Iº
Iº – Lustration – Man and Brother, or Woman and Sister
Element: Water. Chakra: Vishuddha.
“The Child experiences Birth.” Magick Without Tears
“It chooses to enter into relations with the solar system. It incarnates. I explain the significance of birth and the conditions established by the process.” The Confessions of Aleister Crowley
Recommended for Study:
– I° of Freemasonry – Entered Apprentice
– Liber AL
– Liber Tzaddi vel Hamus Hermeticus, sub figura XC
– Book 4, Part I, Chapters 1-4
– Book 4, Part II, Chapter 12 (The Robe)
– MTP, Chapters 13 (Banishings and Purifications) and 167, Part I (The Oath)
– MWT, Chapters 14, 45, 46
– Liber E, especially sections III, IV, VI
– Liber O, section IV: The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram
– Dogme et Rituel de Haute Magie, Part 2, Chapter I
– Eight Lectures on Yoga, by Aleister Crowley
– 777: Columns I, II, III, VII, XII
– Study and practice of Yama
– Asana: stilling the body
– Pranayama: breath (spirit) control
– Lesser rituals of the Pentagram and Hexagram
– Lunar Adorations (The Mantra Gayatri (Book 4, Part I, Chapter 2)
– Meditate on the Tarot Trumps The Star, The Priestess and The Empress
– Relaxation exercises & techniques of purification
– Visualization practices in general
It is advisable to continue practicing the Sun adoration (Liber Resh vel Helios).
– Liber CCXLII, AHA! by Aleister Crowley
– Raja Yoga, by Vivekananda
– “Psychology of Hashish”, by ‘Oliver Haddo’ (Aleister Crowley)
– A general study of hypnotism and mesmerism
– “Before the Beginning of Years” from Atalanta in Calydon, by A.C. Swinburne
The gayatri mantra is given in Book 4 Part II thus:
Aum tat savitur varenyam
Bhargo devasya dhimahi
Dhiyo yo nah pracodayat
Crowley gives the translation: “O! let us strictly meditate on the adorable light of that divine Savitri. May she enlighten our minds!” The mantra was suggested by Crowley as a lunar adoration.
CATECHISM OF THE FIRST DEGREE
Q: Where were you first prepared for your initiation?
A: In heart verily.
Q: Where next?
A: In a convenient place, hard by a spring.
Q: How long did you remain there?
A: For nine moons.
Q: Where were you initiated?
A: In an Oasis.
Q: At what hour?